Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Payday!!!


I get paid on the 25th of each month; unless, of course, the 25th falls on a weekend, in which case the money will go in my SwedBank account the Friday before. Did I mention that I have my own bank account here? Well, I do. Jo and I are proud SwedBank Visa cardholders…there’s even a security chip on our “bankkort” (bank card”). It’s pretty legit.

I deleted my account number, but yeah, the card is still pretty sweet.

There are a few things I’ve learned in life that you just don’t talk about with people: religion, politics, and income. Therefore, I’m definitely NOT going to tell you curious readers how much I get paid. I will, however, tell you a little about the currency here.

1.     Currency name: Krona (singular), Kronor (plural); abbreviated as “kr” (similar to $ sign) or SEK (similar to USD)
2.     There are 3 coins that are in circulation: 1 krona, 5 kronor, and 10 kronor--why is the 10 piece always the smallest? A dime is the smallest coin in the US...think about it and get back to me.


Clockwise from top left: 10kr, 1kr, 5kr
3.     There are 5 cash notes/bills that are used: 20kr, 50kr, 100kr, 500kr, and 1000kr. Each bill has a different color, and as bills increase in value, they increase slightly in size.


500kr and 100kr - notice: the different colors and slightly different sizes
4.     The Swedish kroner ranks at #9 in the most traded currencies in the world (USD is #1)
5.     Although Sweden is a member of the European Union, the majority of the voting citizens are still against the transition to the Euro as their national currency.
6.     $1 USD is roughly = 6.4 kr




No comments:

Post a Comment